Wednesday, August 18, 2010

psych

i'm now spending a few days to do a bit of exploring in london before heading to hayling island on the 19th to start a week's worth of training before my laser standard worlds begin. 

i've got mixed feelings about how i sailed my skandia sail for gold regatta. placed pretty much middle of a strong fleet. thought i sailed well in patches, but when i lost places it was always costly and i couldn't limit the damage.

in particular 3 races could be considered good - an 11th on the first day when i sailed 2 patient beats, a 30th on the 4th day when i was caught out on the wrong side on the 1st beat but sailed positively to make boats on the remaining legs, and a 2nd on the last day where i sailed a perfect first beat to lead at the top mark.

i also thought i sailed well on both my first beats on the fresh 2nd day, before my inability to keep the rig the right way up downwind cancelled my efforts out. 

however i also felt i had quite some bad luck along the way. i felt i was doing well in the first 10 minutes of the race, and would find myself in the top bunch on either the left or the right of the course, only to see boats from the opposite side of the course cross me at the top mark. at least i can be happy with my starts.

also need many more hours in 15 knots+ downhill.

on my last race day i made the painful decision to not fly into germany to see vienna teng live. the costs were simply looking in excess of 600 sgd for train, plane, concert tickets and accommodation expenses. disappointed. 

as sort of a substitute i'm going to see the psychedelic sleepy sun play tonight, a band i'd never heard of before yesterday. i like what i hear though. psyched!

on my stroll through the city today i happened across a) church of scientology london b) st. paul's cathedral c) tate modern art museum. 

i'll upgrade to two wheels tomorrow.

No comments: