Sunday, March 22, 2009

cinematics.

friday night was pretty special. 8 musicians on a stage, playing music that was familiar yet refreshingly different all at once. never have i seen a performance so dynamic and colourful. i loved how almost everyone got a chance to shine - the pianist nick ramm, the saxophonist tom chant, both the guitarists, stuart mccalum and grey reverend, the drummer luke flowers and of course the singer heidi vogel. guy reverend played a version of 'to build a home' that i felt was particularly special and was the treat of the night in my view. the original is a piano ballad which is pretty but frankly a bit boring - they truly jazzed it up here. plucking the chords on the guitar in 7/8 time and singing almost forlornly these lines:

There is a house built out of stone
Wooden floors, walls and window sills
Tables and chairs worn by all of the dust
This is a place where I don't feel alone
This is a place where I feel at home
before the rest of the band joined in for the grand finale. f#min amaj emaj bmaj.

unfortunately i'd say that the saxophonist was a bit of a letdown because i think he was trying too hard to play wacky brass sounds and while it can be done well, it got repetitive and annoying after a while.

i'd also say that while luke the drummer was good coming in with fills through the songs his own solo was poor. he was simply hitting the toms loudly without many of the interesting ideas that came through in the songs. this compared to jeff ballard on sunday night, with the brad mehldau trio, who constructed a solo from the beginning to end, with ideas and motifs, subtle or obvious. even when his snare failed on him. the delicacy of his solo was fascinating and more captivating than the wackfest that luke came up with.

brad mehldau trio was brilliant as well. i'd say it's unfair for 3 guys to be that good at their instruments and still be keeping up with each other throughout the set. highlight for me was when brad took things upon himself with a meditative solo that seemed to speak volumes and communicate every concievable emotion there can be - happiness, sadness, anger, joy, shock, anticipation. utterly brilliant.

and then after all that i forgot about my class outing on saturday night. utterly brilliant.

Out in the garden where we planted the seeds
There is a tree as old as me
Branches were sewn by the color of green
Ground had arose and passed it's knees

By the cracks of the skin I climbed to the top
I climbed the tree to see the world
When the gusts came around to blow me down
I held on as tightly as you held onto me
I held on as tightly as you held onto me

Cause, I built a home
For you
For me

Until it disappeared
From me
From you

And now, it's time to leave and turn to dust

No comments: